Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bringing It Home - Pets - a blast from the past

As a child I was always the one bringing home the next household pet. My mother who never really was an animal lover and would try reasoning with me about why we could not keep the critter that I swore followed me home. Although many of them I dragged along with me to get them to the front door. Raising a house full of young children was her number one reason…she didn’t need another mouth to worry over. I was foiled several times by this response and the small critter in my arms was released and sent packing to find its true owner.

The first pet that got to stay and was truly mine: Speedy Gonzales; my adorable Teddy Bear hamster. My dad built a monster cage for Speedy and he settled into the household as another family member in a house overflowing with kids. 

Being a child looking through the wired cage was not my idea of having a pet. More often than not Speedy got the chance to escape with a bit of assistance. 




I still remember Speedy running around the house frightening my dear mother into screaming for me to get that “HAMSTER”.

When Speedy died it was most traumatic for not only me but my mother as well. Frantic calls to the Vet‘s office only confirmed hamsters die, and when hamsters are stiff as a wood board; they are defiantly dead and children would cry. 



As the saying goes -> I will write about my different friends from childhood and adulthood. Share moments in time with them.   Hopefully bringing smiles to your face or a tear when I speak of times that were sadden by death of a critter whose life made everything that much richer.

No comments: